Monday 10 June 2013

Plastic Surgery: A necessary (life saving) procedure, or vanity taken to extremes

Of course, that greatly depends on the situation that the people who practice in this profession are in.

In some cases, there are people who have genetic defects &/or mutations that affects the way that they look, some of them having more of an effect than others. Other times, there can be someone who had their facial features ruined, whether it's from criminal/domestic violence, or from the cruel acts of war. In these cases, Plastic Surgery is absolutely necessary, as it is seen as a reconstruction of one's self; in such a case, it gives these unfortunate souls the one thing that genetics/violence has taken away from them: the chance to lead a normal life. Unfortunately, there's only so much that this can do; the cases in which the disfigurement, defect or mutation is so bad that they're either beyond recognition, or in extreme cases, turned into living abominations. If that holds true, then the only way to get around this is from euthanasia, as they would rather be dead than to be shunned away by the public eye.

Other cases have them dealing with perfectly normal people who are looking to spice their bodies up, or to get rid of some unsightly features. In this case, it's where Plastic Surgery becomes Man's quest for beauty, taken to the extreme. I mean, your body is perfectly normal; why do you need to go under the knife for some cosmetic changes? In general, the answer is this: Rock-bottom self-esteem. If the person had dramatic weight loss which resulted in loads of skin as excess baggage, then sure, as this procedure is the only effective way to get rid of this. IF you want to have your private areas augmented so that you'll look better, I just don't see the point of having this... Another thing is that some people have delusions in which that they always look at themselves as ugly, even though their friends & family think otherwise. Thus, they always keep getting themselves under the knife just so that they'll achieve their form of a perfect body, which I'm sure that they'll never have. The only real effective solution to this is some strong counseling.
 
This is someones personal opinion which I found on a forum website.
I think that it is important for me to have opinions which i can use to back up my points made in my essay, or to conflict points which are made in my essay. I didnt think that using personal opinions found on the internet would be useful to look at when doing research for my EPQ however the oints made are very useful and I can agree (and also strongly disagree!) with some of what has been said. It has also given me more areas to explore, such as the "only effective solution would be strong councelling." I hadn't thought of this as a solution to people feeling bad about their bodies but now this has given me a greater inscentive to research into this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment